Saturday, October 24, 2009

How I Use Ghee With Margarine

Both of my grandmothers lived on farms. One churned fresh milk and made delicious butter. I was so disappointed in GFCF margarine because it lacked the buttery taste I have loved and cooked with all of my life.

When I first purchased Ghee as an alternative to GFCF margarine I was delighted to find that it did have a very buttery flavor, but I was put off by the overly concentrated butter flavor it brought to my recipes. My solution? I use both GFCF margarine and Ghee in recipes that call for butter or margarine. For example: If a recipe calls for 2 teaspoons of butter or margarine, I use 1 teaspoon GFCF margarine and 1/2 teaspoon Ghee. If a recipe calls for one stick of butter or margarine, I use 1/2 stick GFCF margarine and 4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) Ghee. And so on. And now our GFCF life is light and buttery again. :)

(If you missed our previous discussion about Ghee vs. GFCF margarine, you can find it Here.

0 comments: