Saturday, May 22, 2010

Spaghetti Carbonara

I apologize in advance to all those who are soy-free. The spaghetti pasta I use is made with soy, potatoes, and rice. I tried this dish with corn pasta and rice pasta and I did not like it. The parmesan cheese used in this recipe is also made from soy.


1 12 oz. pkg. Bionaturae GF Spaghetti -- alternate pkg. photo
1 med. onion, finely chopped (I prefer a sweet onion for this recipe)
2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
4-5 slices GFCF bacon, uncooked, cut into small pieces
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon GFCF margarine
2 eggs, beaten
salt
pepper
garlic salt
1 tablespoon Galaxy Foods Vegan GFCF grated Parmesan cheese (our container is purple)

Beat eggs in a small bowl. Set aside.

Into a large skillet or dutch oven, place chopped onion, garlic, bacon pieces and 1/4 cup olive oil. Season with salt, pepper, and garlic salt. Cover and saute over very low heat, stirring occasionally. Do not allow the garlic to brown.

In a medium saucepan cook pasta in salted water, adding 1 tablespoon margarine, for 13 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain but do not rinse. Immediately pour the pasta into the pot of onions, garlic, and bacon. Then, immediately drizzle the beaten eggs over the top of the hot pasta. Cover for 2 minutes. Stir and then cover for another 2 minutes. Remove lid and continue stirring, if necessary, until the eggs are cooked. Sprinkle parmesan cheese over top and stir. Season to taste with garlic salt. Serves 4

~ This is another one of those dishes that I was resigned to never having again until I tried it with the soy-potato-rice pasta and a drastically reduced portion of the Vegan brand Parmesan cheese. I think I went wrong all those times before by using the same amount of Vegan Parmesan cheese that I was using with real Parmesan cheese. The Vegan Parmesan cheese seems so much more concentrated to me, but I digress, I am not a big fan of soy cheese. ~

0 comments: