Sunday, November 1, 2009

Spaghetti With Tomato Based Sauce

2 large (or 4 small) cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 med. onion, chopped
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
2 8 oz. cans tomato sauce
1 6 oz. can tomato paste
12 oz. GFCF spaghetti noodles, uncooked
GFCF margarine
salt
pepper
garlic salt

In large skillet, saute onions and garlic seasoned with salt, pepper, and garlic salt in olive oil over low heat until onions are translucent. Do not allow the garlic to brown. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, and tomato paste and blend well. Heat until mixture is bubbly. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.

After 25 minutes, bring water for the spaghetti to a boil. Add salt and 1 tablespoon GFCF margarine. Add spaghetti, return to boil stirring well, and reduce heat to medium and cook for 15 minutes, stirring frequently to keep pasta separated. Drain spaghetti, rinse with hot water, and drain again. Into the empty but still hot pan, add two tablespoons GFCF margarine, 1 tablespoon garlic salt, and pepper. Add cooked spaghetti and toss well until margarine is melted. By this time the sauce should be ready, so add the buttery and garlic-y noodles to the sauce. Mix well, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes. Serves 4-6.

{I have never liked spaghetti sauce from a jar so I created my own sauce when I was in high school. This is the GFCF version of that recipe. I don't enjoy herbs, but feel free to add your favorites, and just consider this a base. We stopped including browned ground beef in our spaghetti a long time ago, but feel free to also use that in yours. I would suggest 1/2 pound for this recipe. I have tried using both brown rice spaghetti pasta and the rice/potato/soy spaghetti pasta in this recipe but lately I find myself using a combination of both. The extra sauce really helps disguise the taste of the GFCF pasta (vs. non-GFCF pasta). The package directions for the pasta call for a cooking time that is half the cooking time I use, but I never liked al dente pasta, even when it was not GFCF, and I certainly don't like al dente GFCF pasta. Feel free to adjust the cooking time of the pasta according to your preference.}

0 comments: