Sunday, July 11, 2010

Fried Okra

1 bag frozen cut okra (not whole pods)
1/2 cup (or more, if needed) Bob's Red Mill GF Cornbread Mix
salt
pepper
oil for deep frying

Place frozen okra in a large shallow bowl and allow to partially thaw (just until the pieces are moist) at room temperature. Toss with BRM GF cornbread mix, salt and pepper to coat. Carefully place coated pieces into hot oil and cook until golden brown. Drain. Salt to taste.

~ I would venture to guess that you could moisten fresh cut okra with water before tossing with the CB mix, or even coat fresh cut okra with an egg mixture before coating with the CB mix. ~

1 comments:

Kathi said...

I LOVE okra. I have run it through egg but it is really messy. Will try it without. Never tried BRM cornmeal. Thanks! I am trying to grow okra but it is rather woody tasting, think I am letting the pods get too big. Darn it. Has a beautiful yellow and purple flower though.