Thursday, February 18, 2010

Oven Roasted Carrots

2 pounds carrots, scraped and trimmed (not pre-packaged baby carrots*)
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
salt
pepper

*Baby carrots are actually processed Imperator carrots. Imperators are bred to grow faster and ripen quickly. They have only 70% of the beta carotene found in non-processed carrots.

Choose carrots that are close to uniform in size from top to bottom, or, cut carrots in half and then cut larger portions lengthwise, as necessary, until all pieces are approximately the same thickness.

In a glass baking dish or stainless steel baking pan, toss carrots with olive oil, salt and pepper. Arrange carrots in a single layer. Bake at 400 degrees for 45-50 minutes. I prefer 50 minutes cooking time. (If the ends start to brown (caramelize), you probably won't be sorry. :) ) They will shrivel, and also shrink in size quite a bit. Let cool for at least 5 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste. Serves 4-6

~ This recipe was life-changing for me. Seriously! I never knew carrots could be so good. The finished product is to me pretty much lke McDonald's french fries were - irresistible, can't-stop-eating-untl-they-are-gone, crave them daily, etc. If I weren't afraid of turning orange (which can happen, you know) I would have them every single day of my life. So, if you try them and your life changes because of them, don't say I didn't warn you. ;) ~

0 comments: